0

Debut-A-Thon Wrap Up

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013

This weekend I participated in Books of Amber's Debut-A-Thon. If the name doesn't tell you what it's about, it's a read-a-thon where you read as many 2013 debuts as possible.

I still have about six hours left of this read-a-thon, but I decided to only read two books even though I know I could have finished at least one or two more. I simply don't own any more debuts, and I don't have the money to buy any more books for a little while.

The books I finished were If You find Me by Emily Murdoch and Pivot Point by Kasie West. I read both of them in about a day, and I liked both of them a lot.


If You Find Me follows two sisters, Carey and Janessa who has been living in the woods with their mentally ill mother for as long as they can remember. When their mother leaves them and two strangers appear to take them into the city, the girls have to adapt to the outside world. It was a beautiful book about neglect, love and loyalty  What made me love the book so much, was the way Carey saw things. The book is told from her perspective, and seing her go to school and meet her father again was just heartbreaking. She was clever for her age, and her love for her sister was beautiful to read. There are a few mysteries in this book; Why doesn't Janessa speak to anyone but Carey? What made their mother run away with her daughter into the woods in the first place? All the mysteries wrapped up perfectly and I ended up giving the book 5/5 stars. It is definitely one of my new favorites! 

I also really love the cover, and although I read the book on my kindle, I think I might purchase a physical copy of the book just to see the beautiful book on my shelf. 


Pivot Point by Kasie West follows the story of Addison Coleman who has the ability to see both outcomes when faced with a choice. When her parents tell her that they are getting a divorce, Addison looks into the future to see what her life will be like with each of her parents. In one future, she moves out of the compound she previously lived in and starts school with "norm" kids, meaning kids without powers like she has. She meets Trevor, who quickly becomes her best friend. In another future, she becomes the girlfriend of a quarterback and with love and loss in poth possible futures, she has to face a difficult decision. I liked this book a lot, but not near as much as If You Find Me. I had some problems with understanding the world and powers of the people in the compound and I felt like the middle part was a bit boring. I also have to admit that I skipped a few of the chapters from the future where she stays in the compound, because they simply didn't interrest me. I gave the book 4/5 stars.

This book also has one of my all time favorite book covers, even though I don't want to spend any more money on purchasing the physical book.

Did you participate in the debut-a-thon?

Discussion

Leave a response